Spread it or dip it
Christmas is nearly upon us. If you are looking for an amazing appetizer, then these goat cheese dips with honey will be just what you need. Both of them take only 5 minutes to whip up, and they disappear within minutes.
You can use either goat feta or a soft goat cheese for both recipes. When honey plays a starring role in your recipe, as with these ones, you want to make sure you use the good stuff. It doesn’t get much better than Manuka Corner raw honey. It tastes incredible, and you can feel good knowing that it’s made right here in New Zealand, the way nature intended. Our raw kamahi honey is always a hit.
Goat Cheese And Honey Spread
This looks great just spread on a wooden platter with small knives for scooping on to the bread.
- 120 grams of goat cheese
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons of raw manuka honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- Salt to taste (the amount will depend on whether you use feta)
- Spread the goat cheese on a serving platter or wooden board, using the back of spoon to make it smooth and even. It is easiest to get on to your bread when the cheese is spread about 1cm thick.
- Chop or shred the basil leaves and sprinkle on the goat cheese. Drizzle the honey and balsamic vinegar evenly over the cheese, and top with sunflower seeds.
- Slice up a baguette and lightly sprinkle with olive oil and a wee bit of garlic salt. Grill until golden and crunchy.
- Serve the immediately with the bread or with your favourite crackers. Enjoy!
Honey Goat Cheese Spread or Dip
The cheeses will be soft enough for dipping when the dish is served immediately, and it is equally good for spreading after it has been chilled.
The trick is to combine the honey and cheeses until they are smooth, and whip in some air to get that light, fluffy texture.
If you want to get a little more creative you can add almonds, or dried fruit such as cranberries or apricot. This dip or spread is tasty on crackers, but also perfect with baguette, pear or apple slices.
- 200 grams mascarpone or cream cheese
- 125 grams goat cheese
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup chopped, roasted walnuts
- Combine the mascarpone or cream cheese, goat cheese, 1 tbsp honey, olive oil and salt in medium size bowl.
- With a electric hand mixer, beat until fluffy, around 1 to 2 minutes. Alternatively, you could do this in a food processor.
- Spread the mixture into a serving bowl.
- Drizzle the remaining 2 tbsp of honey over the spread.
- Sprinkle with toasted walnuts.
- Serve with crackers, pear or apple slices and enjoy!